Stateside

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Roughin´ it

So this is a really good excercise for me. No hair products and no makeup. I have to completely get over my appearance. My jeans are all stretched out. Actually a really nice Israeli girl gave me some panteen so I could wash my hair last night. And a surfer dude on break from Princeton donated some soap and my new friend Prateek (Indian by decent but a New York native) that I met in the Pheonix airport actually lent me some pajamas. He happened to be on my flight and then staying at the same hostel. Fellow travelers are really incredibly open and warm. I bought a toothbrush today and if my bag doesn´t show up by tomorrow night I will officially go shopping.

So Prateek and his travel buddy Paul (from D.C) and I had dinner at a really cute little restaurant tonight. Cafe Mundo. I recommend it. We walked about the city today taking in the various sights, even though it´s been raining.

This isn´t the rainy season according to LP (Lonely Planet) however there seems to be alot of it anyway, and not just light sprinkling, heavy downpours, I actually bought a $2 umbrella.

The other funny thing, I expected sun and pina coladas by the pool. Instead the entire country is on lockdown prohibition for four days due to the election. The whole country is basically dry (kinda ironic considering the rain :) At dinner I couldn´t order wine, the supermarkets have cardboard over the liquor and beer aisles and cops are monitoring the bars to make sure they aren´t serving, most of them are simply closed. Word on the street is this continues until Tuesday, two days after the election.

In any case I´m stuck here in San Jose until my bag arrives or I give up on it. I wonder what the chances really are that it might be lost forever. From what I have heard they do almost always eventually turn up. It´s just not telling when. I have a tag on it so it should at least make it to my parents´ address in Vancouver. This free internet is nice. Makes blogging easier. Ciao!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home