Stateside

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Only One Month Left...


I have one month until I leave "on a jet plane." I have plenty of time now to finish up my research and generate a more specific itinerary. "Anonymous" left a comment which made it to my email inbox but I can't find it in a comment box anywhere on my blog so I will print it and respond here.
Comment: "Paige, I hope u don't take this the wrong way, but how old are u? Your blogs seem to point that any investigation on your part is with rose colored glasses. I know lots of people that go to Costa Rica, very few of them go for a family vacation, it is a beautiful land but it's know for it's sex trade catered to fat middle aged american men, and the locals will be your best friend, until you turn your head and they steal anything of value. I would just caution you to be very careful and weary of people. Probably going with a fellow explorer would be a great idea."

I have no illusions, rose colored or otherwise, as to the realities of theft (my traveling partner and good friend was robbed in Rome) or the realities of the sex trade in a foreign country however, these are fairly simple things to protect yourself against. Don't go seeking the sex trade (I never ventured into the Red Light District in Amsterdam alone) and not carrying anything of value is a good start to avoiding these specific examples of why this person fears Costa Rica. I think the intention is good but the point is not that I need to "bring" a fellow explorer as I hope to meet fellow explorers there.

On that note, if any readers have friends living in Costa Rica let me know, I'd like to make some more contacts.

2 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger Martha said...

My response to this do-gooder is to say, "Oh calm down!" Bad things happen, but you can't sit home all the time and worry it. It happens everywhere, so all you can do is be smart and careful.

Also, I've never seen your rose colored glasses.

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huge sex trade! Here I come!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home