Stateside

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Lasik, Oregon Country Fair

I have been a contact wearer for about three years now and am kind of tired of the itchy eyes and expensive solution. Going to Costa Rica makes me want to be free, of more than just the obvious, I also want to be free of contacts and glasses (even though I've been told glasses can be somewhat librarian sexy). So i am going to get lasik surgery. This technology has now been around for about eleven years I'm told. Everyone I've talked to who has had it done seems to be quite pleased. Plunking down 2K on the eve of a financially risky trip seems a little odd for my usual practical self but I've decided I want it enough and that's that. I go in for surgery on Aug 26th. Clear vision is something quite useful and the expense will actually save me money in the long run so I'm going for it. I will be able to see every palm frond and distant sailboat in crystal clear contact less vision.

On another note, I went to the Oregon country fair for the first time today. Quite a spectacle, at times surreal and at other times very real. It is amazing to immerse yourself in an environment that challenges what your society says is acceptable and "normal." Nudity is just one element, one that you overcome easily if you've ever been a history buff. Our societies abhorence of public nudity is a relatively new aversion. The greeks and romans had different holidays dedicated to the celebration of it. What little we know of pre-historic societies seem to indicate a celebration of nudity, in any case the real challenge is to try to take in the steady stream of unusual sights and smells of the fair with a completely open palate. My first reaction was to take something in and immediatly try to identify or place it within my experience. " hmm that smells like that herb shop nicole and i went into in amsterdam" " that guy looks like someone who would have been a phish groupie" the you start to take it in and apply it somewhat to yourself "that skirt is so cute, i'd never wear it but, damn that's hot" "that guy is so sweaty, ewe" "that woman's breats are enormous!!!" "wow, that chick is trippin!" "awe, that little girl playing the violin is so cute, are her parents making her or does she actually enjoy it?" "that digeri-doo guy can really blow" "where's the food I'm starving." I think you can only have a first impression once, and of course first experiences are what make one want to travel so much. Everytime you have them you grow a little taller and think a little longer, because you have so much more to apply that experience too. Your mind is like a great cross-referencer, and the more you have experienced the more you have to cross reference it to.

1 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Blogger brataloid said...

sounds like we missed out...the beaver's game was quite a bore. no nudity there. glad you had a good time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home